- - - - S k e t c h b o o k - - - A s s i g n m e n t - -
Fill the page with overlapping shapes that run off the page on
all sides. No pos/neg spaces larger than a fistprint. Fill each pos/neg
space with smooth pencil gradations (from light to dark).
The Shading Do-Nots:
- Do not shade with the side of your pencil.
- Do not smear the drawing with your finger
or a tissue.
- Do not start out too dark - you can always
get darker as you work.
- Do not use mechanical pencils. (Sorry-
- Do make a flat edge on the tip of your pencil lead by
"coloring" a sharpened tip on a piece of scrap paper.
- Do shade in one direction only... then shad the opposite
direction on top.
- Do shade from light layers to dark to avoid uneven transitions.
*Teaching points: pencil techniques, value, gradations,
This site is no longer being maintained, but will remain online for the use of educators.